Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hand-Picked from Heaven

Today my girl  amazed me.  Knowing that today was going to be a busy one, I asked my kids at the start of the day to be patient & cooperative.  (OK, then I translated that into "be extra good helpers for mommy please").  So I tried to give lots of praise appropriately . . . & it worked!  The day was going smoothly. Got in a good language arts lesson, a few errands, even story time.

Then I made a stupid mistake.  I lost my patience.  My girl was moving like a snail & not paying attention during math.  All I could think was- I don't have time for this.  I could tell we weren't going to get any further, so I left the room rather ubruptly & kindly (but obviously a bit botherd) asked her to choose something else to do. Then I went about taking care of a few things, when she came to me in her cheerful way, with an idea.

"Mommy, I know.  I can help you write a to do list so you don't forget anything today!"

Enter my amazment:  My 5-y.o. just saw that I was a little frustrated, & knew what would help her mommy feel better.  A simple to do list.  So she wrote down a few reminders for me as I worked, (score... more writing & spelling practice) then was my little "helper".  Funny thing is she was actually the thing that put a smile on my face again.

Every so often my kids do the simplist thing to remind me that Heavenly Father hand-picked them just for me!  (Thank You!!!)

3 comments:

Billy and Katie said...

She is so sweet, you are lucky she's yours!

Jessica said...

how sweet :) maybe sometime you can show me some of the things you use to teach your kids. riley is just about 2.5yrs but all i can think to do now is the alphabet and counting. she gets reallllyyyy bored with those!

tiff said...

awwww!! ginny you are such a sweet mommy! true you are lucky to have such adorable, and sweet kids, but boy are they lucky to have such a sweet and loving mommy!