Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cool School Stuff

We love doing any kind of science activity, but these two are really cool... had to share:

#1:
A Live Butterfly Garden!  The beginning part is a lil gross, but totally do-able, & totally worth it.  Basically you recieve caterpillars in a small container with special food, & in a few weeks you'll have butterflies.  There's a website (livebutterflygarden.com) & I've also seen tadpoles & ladybug kits too. 

I feel sorry for our butterflies.  The cat has knocked down their 'house' a few times, & my girl simply refuses to let them free.  I gotta get creative on this one :)


 
#2:
We planted seeds with "Seed Thru", a clear liquid soil substitute.  Just sprinkled seeds on this goopey gel & whala!  Well, mostly.  Half of them didn't do much, but the sugar peas started to sprout in days!  They had the coolest looking roots. C&M School Supply sells it in Riverside or online.

 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are the coolest teacher! our caterpillars are all cocoons now... we're just waiting!

Jessica said...

That is sooooo cool. i want to do that weird clear soil for me to see! I've bought one of the butterfly gardens for a cousin for her birthday once. If i remember i might buy one for riley's b-day. I felt it's a fun and unique gift! (educational too, as you showed)

Pete & Leah said...

We love the hands on science too. I have a whole list of things Zach and I are going to do next year! Zach's class did the Butterflys this year and they had a butterfly party to release them, you might try that with yours! Zach class also has a Praying Mantis egg sack that is hatching right now. We also have tadpoles right now (we got them from our friends pond). They aren't as fast to "transform" though so the kids have kind of lost interest :).